We seek to provide as broad a curriculum as possible. Swimming is an important life-skill that will enhance enjoyment and safety throughout the lifetime of the children. It gives children an opportunity to excel at a non–academic activity.
At Inkersall Primary Academy, swimming lessons supplement the PE curriculum for children in Years 3-5.
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
Teaching and Learning
Children are assessed on their first visit to the pool, by qualified instructors, and put into groups according to their ability. Each group is taught by a qualified swimming instructor who is responsible for the content of the lessons provided. Assessment is on going and as children make progress they are moved on to groups that meet their improving abilities.
Health and Safety Guidance
- Any medication that may be required by children whilst at the pool is taken by staff. This may include inhalers and Epipens.
- Children must wear appropriate clothing.
- Goggles are recommended by most instructors however children are also expected to swim without goggles.
- No jewellery may be worn in the pool. The only exception to this rule is a medical alert bracelet, which may be worn if medically required. Long hair should be tied back.
- Swimming hats can be worn but optional.
- Children are taught to walk carefully when moving around the pool building.
- At no time are the children left without the supervision of an adult.
- Seat belts are worn whilst the children are on the coach.
Please see out PE and Sport premium for more details on our school swimming at Inkersall.